Sunday, February 05, 2006

Play: Distanced

Two roommates, ELIZABETH and NICA, are in their room. Books and files are strewn everywhere. Nica is reading, while Elizabeth is trying to decide where to mount a white and glass-lidded box on her crowded wall.

ELIZABETH
I can’t seem to find a place for this.

Elizabeth sits, the box in hand.

ELIZABETH
(to Nica) You liked her, right? Nicole? I know she was a little… quiet? But she’s not usually like that. (Nica shrugs) I mean, she’s really crazy. When we were in Cherry Hills, she’d flash random guys and dance on tables like she was smashed, only she never was, and she’d remember everything and laugh about it the next day. She was really crazy…

Elizabeth pauses, thinking.

ELIZABETH
Maybe she was just sick… (to Nica) Did she say anything to you? (Nica shakes her head) Right, of course… I did ask her at the train station when she gave this to me, but she said nothing was wrong. Maybe she just doesn’t like the city. I mean, I’m sure there are people who don’t, right? (pauses, nodding) Yeah… (pauses again) I should find some place to put this.

Elizabeth gets up and surveys her wall. She makes space for the box, but when she turns away it falls and the glass lid shatters.

No comments: